Aug 8, 2011

When my son needed stitches

Our youngest, now 4, and by far our most spirited, had to have stitches on his scalp last year. The instant I saw the cut I began to dread what lay ahead. It was clear from the depth of the cut and where it was located, he would need stitches. As he saw me reach for the phone to call out pediatrician he cried even harder. I pictured 10 people holding him down while they did stitches. Instead I began to calmly tell him we were going to the dr., that the dr. would have to look at his cut, that he would need to close it with stitches.

He asked if it would hurt. I bit my lip, took a deep breath, and said "yes." The tears and howls increased but I was firm. We were going. By the time we reached the doctor’s office my son had calmed. They were all very gently with him and told him everything they were doing. That helped immensely. Instead of talking to me, then to him, they spoke directly with him. They placed a large numbing patch over the cut that we held on for 15 minutes I think. The stitches took even less time than that. I was amazed at how well the whole thing turned out - I never would have believed it in a million years. I was very grateful to the staff and let them know I appreciated them bringing my son into the treatment instead of ignoring him and his pain level.

No comments:

Post a Comment