Jul 27, 2011

This is our first year homeschooling

This is our first year homeschooling and we love every minute of it. We chose homeschooling for a few reasons. First of all being the violence in public schools today. Second wanting the best education for our children.
Our oldest daughter also has ADHD and a compulsive disorder. We were very concerned with her getting the attention she was going to need and how she would get treated by other children and teachers. I use to work with daycare children and I remember the children that were a little hyper or different were always labeled as problem children and I did not want that for her.

I second-guessed myself for the first half of this year but once she started to really catch on I knew I had made the right decision. We started with preschool curriculum but she has surpassed that. She is having a little trouble with her ABC's, though she knows them and can write them, she is having trouble with recognizing them. It’s the same with numbers. Right now she really enjoys rhyming and will spend an hour walking around the house finding things that rhyme.

We have decided on schooling the entire year. She does not handle stress very well so we are a very relaxed home schooling family. We do things in small increments and give her plenty of time to do the work. I also try to make it as interesting as possible and use everything to my advantage to help her learn. Anything that I can use I do from grocery shopping to picking up toys by colors or counting. Schooling at home has also been good for my daughter Deanna who turns 3 in two weeks’. She joins right in with us. She knows all her ABC's, counts to 20, can spell her name, and can remember the words to any song I teach her.

No comments:

Post a Comment