Jun 7, 2011

Do we need an official diagnosis?

I've gone through feeling the need for a "diagnosis" to try to explain this--then I talked to a friend whose mother is a psychologist and would constantly suggest that she have her daughter tested for various disorders. She decided to not test for anything and just work with her "personality" the way she would likely be told to do if she had a diagnosis. That's where I am with it now. He is who he is (like the boy in the piece by Anne Ohman) and I'm working hard to embrace rather than try to change it--easier said than done some days!

I was listening to Dr. Dean Edell a week or two ago (he has a radio show that plays here on Saturdays) and he talked about diagnoses and what you do with it once you get it. He said that had there been such a thing as an ADHD diagnosis when he was a kid, he would have gotten it! He went on to say that while he frustrated his teachers, his parents supported him and he found his way. He said that had he ended up in a typical practice like most doctors end up in, he would have likely been very unhappy, but not able to pinpoint why. But he feels thankful that he's not in that position--that he has a career he loves and that works for him. That's what I want to do for my child--help him find something that works for him. (Although I sometimes have to redirect myself BACK to that when I find myself trying to make him fit into MY box of wishes, hopes, and dreams for him).

No comments:

Post a Comment