Jun 24, 2011

How do I help my child to unschool?

I like the idea of an experimental month, it seems safer than just jumping in. I casually asked my daughter what she thought of picking out something to study for the month and she said she would like to study dogs. So, I asked, "How would you go about doing this?" And she said that she would just watch our dog. This led to wondering how many hairs he had and if she could count them all. Then, she decided it would probably take 1000 years to count that many hairs, and that there were probably several million of them. She also said she liked observing his reactions to different things, and wondered what he was thinking when she threw snow at him and in his face. But she was not interested in observing other dogs or going to a dog show or checking out any books on the subject. So, how do you "study" the dog- would you leave it up to her to decide what she wanted to observe, note, etc.? What if she doesn't do a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment